Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's Christmas but it doesn't feel like Christmas

Its amazing when you have children that you can't help but feel the excitement of Christmas. But, when they've grown and moved on its a whole different story. As the Missus and I were sharing our morning coffee - (no, we didn't use the same cup), she said to me that it didn't feel like Christmas and I had to agree.

By this time our home is usually festooned with every imaginable decoration she can pull out of storage and there's baking hidden away from my sweet tooth. (I know its in the deep freeze somewhere). There are usually plans in place for at least one grandchild and their parents to arrive and we've laid in or is it layed in, some tasty snacks and refreshing beverages. But none of that is going to happen this year. At least not on Christmas day. We did have an earlier get together two weeks ago with my two daughters and their husbands in Edmonton and we got to play with our three grandsons so it's not like we didn't have anybody around but its just not the same as the hustle and bustle of Christmas day.

In any case we will have Christmas dinner with my Mom and one of my brothers and a couple of sisters and a niece that is bringing her three kiddies so it will still hustle and bustle on the day.

As I'm writing this it occurred to me that this article will seem like I'm feeling bad for myself and that's not why I was writing it. I'm not writing it to depress anyone either I'm writing it to share how life changes and how we miss opportunities to gather with family. If you've missed those opportunities in the past then you should do your utmost to rectify the situation and make plans to get together with people you have been missing.  If you don't have anyone close perhaps helping others to enjoy the season by volunteering to serve dinner with some organization that is putting one on in your community will satisfy. And, if there isn't one, start one of your own. I know the community will support you.  Your efforts will be richly rewarded through new friendships and the feeling that you've helped others to enjoy. 
Merry Christmas from our house to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment